According to Gallup, 66% of workers are disengaged. They categorise this as not being emotionally invested in the workplace, turning up to do the minimum required and then leaving for a slightly better offer. The remaining 34% are engaged. That’s to say they are enthusiastic, involved and committed to the workplace.
Now It’s fair to assume we can’t label everyone with these black and white terms quite so simply, there is more likely to be a continuum. But the data does give you a good basis, especially when we consider it’s a sample of over 30,000 people. So, two thirds of employees are disengaged – so what?
Well, the bottom line is this – workplaces with more engaged employees perform better. And that translates to better loyalty and better return. Boosting the engagement of your 66% could really pay off. In fact:
So, employee engagement is kind of a big deal. Helping employees better connect to the company can result in impacts that are going to make the board happy and ultimately make your life easier.
The secret is that there isn’t one. Not a single one anyway. It comes down to a large part of the company make up. Those companies that prioritise their employees highly have more engagement than those that don’t. And that means good connections to the business goals, regular two-way communication and much more.
The Chartered Institute of Personal Development (CIPD) suggest the following for an engaged workforce:
This is all well and good, but is it all achievable?
The trouble is most work environments rely heavily on people interaction. Managers especially, have a tough role to fulfil. They are the face of the company to your employees, the coach, the mentor, the guide, oh and they also have a day job. We rely on them to communicate back and forth with the senior team sharing valuable information with employees and responding by way of feedback.
It’s difficult. You may do any one of those jobs well, but all of them – that’s a tall order.
Managers aren’t alone in their challenging remit. HR too, are becoming expected to own more and more – driving the business goals, owning the culture, delivering a positive employee experience.
The people who are key to influencing employee engagement are already under pressure. But technology can help.
Now technology will never solve all your problems, but it can definitely help with some. It can provide you with a platform, a framework, and better insight into the things working well and not so well. In fact, if you consider CIPD’s take on employee engagement above, it can tackle a big chunk of those. Through technology you can:
We still need people interactions. But backed up with the right technology they become easier and more effective.
If you know what you need, there are a host of tools out there to help you. If you’re not sure where to start, then talking to your employees is a good first step. Understand their needs, frustrations, then look for a solution that will drive the biggest difference.
If you are ready to start tackling your employee engagement challenges, then we are here to help. Our LMS solution, myAko, was designed to tackle all of these points – saving you buying multiple solutions. That means one system, one log on, one person to call and just one procurement process. In fact, everything we’ve done is designed around you and your employees. So, let’s talk, and see how our tech can help your employee engagement challenges.
Written by Simon Andrew, Consultant and Director at Me[plural] ,on behalf of myAko.